For the cup cake monster, Monica, on her birthday. I crushed frozen sour cherries into the butter icing for this fantastic natural pink colour and flavour.
“The food was amazing. People are still talking about it!”
Message from our happy client, Vanessa.
Home made flat bread topped with smoked Springbok carpaccio, wild rocket, grilled bringal, parmesan shavings and a balsamic reduction.
Rare beef fillet cocktail rolls with onion marmalade, lemon aioli and baby leaves.
Ribbons of smoked salmon trout with cream cheese, dill, lemon and watercress on mini savoury pancakes.
Thai chicken satays with a chilli and peanut sauce.
Short crust pastry tart filled with goats cheese cream, caramelised fig and mirco greens.
Photos by Lara
These are especially dark, salty-sweet chocolate biscuits, the best I’ve ever had!
Photo by Lara.
Set oven at 180.
1 and half cups flour
half cup plus 2 tbsp cocoa
1 cup butter
quarter tsp salt
half cup granulated sugar plus extra for sprinkling
2 tbsp lightly packed light brown sugar
3 tbsp honey
Sift flour, cocoa and salt.
Mix butter, granulated and brown sugars, and honey till fluffy.
Add dry ingredients gradually. Wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Grease baking sheet. Roll out dough and, using scalloped edged cookie cutter, cut out biscuits. Arrange on baking sheet, sprinkle with sugar and bake for 10 minutes. Transfer to wrack and cool.
1. Variety of sandwiches: Cucumber; Ham and a whole grain mustard mayonnaise; Cream cheese and pesto; Roasted chicken and home made mayonnaise; Ribbons of smoked salmon trout with cream cheese and fresh dill.
2. Home made scones with thick cream and raspberry jam.
3. Home made cheese scones with chive and cream cheese butter.
4. Variety of quiches: Butternut and Danish feta topped with crispy sage; Quiche Lorraine (caramelised onion and bacon); Onion marmalade with fresh rocket and balsamic roasted cherry tomatoes; Goats cheese, tomato and thyme.
5. Variety of tarts: Blue cheese, pecan nut and fresh thyme; Onion marmalade, fresh tomato, torn olives, fresh thyme and goats cheese; Butternut, crispy sage and walnut; Goats cheese cream and caramelised fruit topping.
6. Millionaires shortbread.
7. Chocolate and pecan nut brownies.
8. Mini lemon meringue pie.
9. Pancakes with lemon wedges and cinnamon sugar.
10. Cup cakes: Vanilla with flavoured butter icing; lemon with lemon curd and meringue topping, chocolate ganache: white and dark.
11. Seasonal fruit platter with fresh mint sugar.
12. Mini tarts filled with caramel and topped with roasted banana and burnt sugar syrup.
13. Meringues or mini pavlovas with lemon curd cream and seasonal fruit.
14. Mini pots of vanilla creme brulee.
15. Chocolate eclairs.
16. Mini short crust pastry tarts with: chocolate cream and berries; lemon curd cream; or raspberry cream and fresh berries.
1. Rich Belgian chocolate cake with a chocolate ganache icing. R300.00
2. Baked cheese cake with berry coulis. R300.00
3. Lemon and poppy seed cake. R200.00
4. Cinnamon and sugar topped tea cake. R75.00
5. Raspberry and sour cream ripple cake. R300.00
6. Pineapple and coconut cake. R120.00
7. Cup cakes. R12.00 – R15.00
8. Lemon meringue pie made with home made lemon curd. R100.00
9. Banana bread loaf with pecan nuts and poppy seeds. R100.00
10. Carrot cake with pecan nuts and cream cheese icing. R300.00
11. Red velvet cake with cream cheese icing. R300.00
12. Layered chocolate mousse cake. R400.00
13. Pavlova Royale with flavoured cream, seasonal fruit and flavoured syrups. (Fruit, chocolate and nut varieties.)
This is a layered sponge cake a I did for a friend, smothered in Italian meringue.
Prices on request.
1. Roast salmon in a teriyaki marinade.
2. Rolled lamb roasted with a mint, mustard and balsamic glaze served on onion, rosemary and garlic.
3. Crisp duckserved with a spiced plum chutney.
4. Whole baked bringal halved and topped with tahina spiced yoghurt, roasted nuts and fresh rocket. (V)
5. Individual chicken and mushroom pies .
6. Whole beef fillet grilled.
7. Summery pasta with ricotta, basil and black olives. (V)
8. Mushroom risotto topped with parmesan shavings and fresh herbs. (V)
9. Asian egg noodle stir fry with juicy prawns, baby calamari and stir fried baby vegetables.
10. Rare roast beef with creamed horse raddish.
11. Stuffed roast chicken breast fresh herbs and lemon.
Salad and vegetable options:
1. Traditional Greek salad with tomato, cucumber, red onion, green pepper and feta.
2. Thai roast butternut and sweet potato salad with crispy greens and crushed peanut brittle.
3. Rocket and parmesan salad with extra virgin olive oil.
4. Peppery leaves with julienned beetroot, goats’ cheese, seeds and currants with a balsamic reduction.
5. Saffron couscous with feta, currants, nuts and pomegranate.
6. Roast potato and onion.
7. Herbed baby potatoes.
8. Spiced pumpkin wedges.
9. Blanched green beans with flaked almonds.
10. Blanched baby vegetables with butter and fresh herbs.
11. Creamed mash potato.
Prices on request.
1. Butternut risotto balls stuffed with blue cheese.
2. Thai chicken skewers drizzled with peanut sauce and freshly chopped coriander.
3. Teriyaki style beef skewers.
4. Juicy prawn tails served with a dill mayonnaise.
5. Mini caprese salads of bocconcini mozarella, fresh basil, cherry tomatoes and pesto.
6. Mini tarts with blue cheese, roasted walnuts and caramelised onion.
7. Mini filo quiche: Mushroom, caramelised onion and parmesan.
8. Mini beef fillet rolls with caramelised onion, aioli and seasonal leaves.
9. Grilled thinly sliced aubergine rolled with a herbed cream cheese and flaked almonds.
10. Vegetable spring rolls served with a ginger, lemon grass and soy dipping sauce.
11. Mini pita bread stuffed with a home made hummus, roasted chickpeas and fresh rocket.
12. Ribbons of smoked salmon trout served on mini savoury pancakes with cream cheese, fresh dill and cracked black pepper.
13. Mini Asian fish cakes with a tangy dipping sauce.
14. Mini pies: Roast chicken and mushroom; Beef and onion; Lamb curry; or vegetarian chickpea and butternut.
15. Bruschetta topped with a variety of meats, cheeses, chutneys, pesto and seasonal leaves.
16. Mini chicken drummets marinated and grilled on the fire.
17. Cucumber ribbons wraped around marinated bocconcinni mozzarella and skewered.
18. Home made flat bread topped with smoked springbok carpaccio, rocket, grilled bringal and a balsamic reduction.
19. Short crust pastry tart with roast butternut, caramelised onion, crispy sage and parma ham.
20. Sweet onion and potato fritatas.
21. Home made ginger biscuits with goats cheese and caramelised fig.
22. Blue cheese pannacotta topped with honey roasted pear and nuts.
23. Short crust pastry tart with a goats cheese cream and caramelised fruit topping.
1. Mini bowls of Thai green curry: Fish; beef, vegetarian or chicken with basmati rice.
2. Mini bowls of Indian lamb or beef curry served with basmati rice and a mini popodum.
3. Mini bowls of pasta bows with a creamy butternut sauce topped with crispy sage and parma ham (optional).
4. Mini bowls of flavoured mash with cocktail sausages.
5. Mini pot pies: Roast chicken and mushroom.
Prices on request.
Last week I made this chocolate ganache cake for Kim’s birthday. It’s a rich, dense cake that lasts longer than most cakes.
Set oven at 180, grease and line 25 cm cake tin.
200g dark chocolate
375ml strong coffee
450g castor sugar
175g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
3 tbls cocoa powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
Melt butter, chocolate, coffee and sugar on low heat till dissolved. Whisk in sifted dry ingredients, add eggs and vanilla, whisk to combine. Pour into tin and bake for one hour, remove and leave to cool in tin.
Cover with chocolate ganache:
300g dark chocolate
1 cup cream
Heat cream and add chocolate, stir till melted.